Have Your Healthiest Year Ever
It’s January! That means it’s time for new year’s resolutions, fresh starts, and healthy changes. Not only do most of us take a good look at what we’re eating but we also need to evaluate our lives as a whole. There are so many elements that go into making your life healthy and happy. Fitness, stress management, and diet are just a few. Even if it’s incorporating something new every month, I can promise you these small changes will make a difference. Taking it one step at a time is the key to lasting success.
Never leave home without your water bottle.
On days where I stay hydrated throughout the day, I feel more focused and awake — and less likely to reach for that afternoon snack. Always have water available. Keep a water bottle at your desk, in your car, in the fridge, ready to grab.
Jennie from Colorado Springs Fit Body Boot Camp says, “Everyone is always asking me for a “magic pill” for weight loss. It amazes me the amount of money people spend on supplements and pills without first doing the most important step of making sure they are drinking enough water. Water makes your body work better! It flushes toxins out of your system, hydrates your joints, makes your brain sharper, and makes your skin look better. These are just a few of the benefits. Water is the ultimate “magic pill”.”
Be consistent and enjoy your exercise.
I’m not going to tell you that you should be getting some exercise, because… duh. You know that. But why don’t you try a new kind of work out this new year? You might be super comfortable with what you’re doing right now but you can find fun classes to try (even for free!) everywhere. Yoga, dance, boot camp…there are lots of choices! I actually found my boot camp class on Groupon. The first 3 classes were free, but I was hooked after 1. Go for a hike or a bike ride. Enjoy the outdoors. Make it a priority to do something you enjoy and doesn’t feel like a chore. Think of something you’ve always wanted to try. Try a tennis lesson, go to the batting cages, swim! Find a buddy to join you. Just move your body and have fun doing it. Frequently.
Follow the 80/20 rule.
This is one of my personal goals for this year. Depriving yourself of treats 100% of the time just isn’t sustainable. The main point is to eat healthy 80% of the time and be more relaxed with your diet the other 20%. It makes it easier to stick to your plan. You’re less likely to fail if you plan for indulgences. But just because you’re eating well 80% of the time, that doesn’t mean you should use the other 20 to go on an all out binge. You should still watch your portion sizes and be somewhat conscious of the sugar and fat content.
I’ve pretty much had the “all or nothing” attitude for most of my life. Big mistake if you’re trying to get back in shape or lose weight. Try eating healthy Monday through Friday and be a little less strict on the weekends. If you do eat bad, don’t let it ruin your whole day. A few unhealthy meals aren’t going to ruin your body the same way a handful of healthy meals aren’t going to give you a six pack.
Eat your greens every day.
I’m a huge believer in eating some form of greens (usually some sort of salad) at almost every single meal. It may sound extreme to some of you, but I promise that once you start, you’ll be hooked! Eat a big salad for lunch, grill some asparagus with olive oil and garlic at dinner, and for breakfast make a spinach quiche. There are so many possibilities. You don’t need to try a fancy diet; just eat as many vegetables as you can every day. Leafy greens are extremely low in calories, yet super high in nutrients. If you make them the base of your lunch and dinner you’ll definitely feel a difference this new year.
Most people notice an immediate and very noticeable energy boost when they start including more leafy greens in their diet. That is because leafy greens contain magnesium and B Vitamins which most people are severely lacking in their diets. When I have had periods of not eating my greens – I have noticed that I have a lot less energy and start to crave foods like chocolate and sweets on a regular basis.
Now go do it.
If there’s one thing we all know about New Year’s resolutions, it’s that they’re easy to make, but hard to maintain. Small changes are where it’s at. Resolutions are like diets: they usually don’t last enough to make long term changes. Starting today, make a small change and feel the difference. Happy New Year!